Currently, it takes some time to respond to comments because I have some other things I have to prioritize.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

I'm so thankful. Who are you thankful to?

Today, I went to a laundry to have my suit and necktie cleaned.
On the way to the laundry, I lost my wallet :(
I searched between my house and the laundry for about 30 minutes, in vain.
Then I went to Koban (Small police station) feeling depressed.
Inside the Koban, there was a middle age lady inside.
Feeling even more down because I thought I would have to wait for my turn, I entered the Koban.
As soon as I entered the Koban, I noticed there was something familiar on the table - my wallet.
I was so thankful that I thought of paying remuneration to her.
She refused when the police man mentioned it, and she went away.
I couldn't thank her enough at that time, so let me say "Thank you" here on my blog.


I have had the same kind of experiences.
When I was on the way to take a TOEFL test (Extremely expensive test), I lost my wallet and found it at a Koban. It included ID cards which were necessary to take TOEFL exam, so I owe a lot to the young rider who kindly submitted my wallet.


I have some other experiences in which I was able to get back my belongings thanks to the kindness of people.


Thanks a lot. I've been trying, and I will continue trying to contribute to this society full of conscience as long as I shall live.




Let me ask you a question.
If it's an impolite question, please just ignore.
In this kind of situation, who would you thank God or the person who helped you?
Is one side more significant than the other?


I wonder if the term "Koban" is understood by anyone in the Japanese society because so many pictures of the kind of police stations have "Koban" written on the front wall, or is it acknowledged even by people abroad?

2 comments:

  1. Thats wonderful news and such a relief! I've always believed the people of Japan to be very honest and good people, they actually remind me a lot of Texans.

    I am shamed to say it, but i couldn't expect the same honest gesture in Columbus (capital of the state of Ohio, where i live) if somthing like that happened to me. People would sooner empty the wallet on the spot and discard it- then return it with all of it's contents.

    I would definitely thank the person who returned the wallet, but i admit my religious knowledge is limited. I don't understand the way God works, and it's not until much later (several months or years) that i understood the influence he had, and what lesson i learned.

    I don't think either is more significant than the other, though i think the person is hugely more visible.

    I try my best to follow his teachings and treat others as i wish to be treated, but i've rarely noticed his hand in things at the time of the event, so it's often difficult to distinguish the difference between his attempts to teach me a lesson, or just a random act of kindness.

    What dose Buddhism teach you? I've noticed that most teachings try to get the same message across of honesty and kindness, but i admit i know little of Japan's beliefs and philosophy.

    hmm..I can't say i've never heard the term "Koban" before. Pikachu on the other hand...is famous!:P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the candid comment,and I'm sorry for this belated response.
    It's always intriguing to hear religious views of people because I grew up in a society where religions are not really visible.
    [People would sooner empty the wallet on the spot and discard it- then return it with all of it's contents.]
    This does happen in Japan too.
    According to the police man in charge of my case, the area I live is one of the safest areas in my city.
    Japanese people tend to see safety as something granted, and I myself used to be one of them until recently.
    In fact it is one of the greatest value this society has.

    But I sometimes wonder if those who grow up in an extremely safe and peaceful society turns into ultra-leftists who blindly believe in the conscience of people.

    [What dose Buddhism teach you?]
    Sorry, I don't know enough about Buddism, so I can't answer you at the moment.
    I'll let you know after I learn enough about the religion.

    Thanks again for the comment.

    ReplyDelete