Currently, it takes some time to respond to comments because I have some other things I have to prioritize.

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Volleyball

There was a volleyball game yesterday.
Japanese national team had a match with Poland.
I continued watching until the second set and gave up hope then.
Unexpectedly, the Japanese team upset the game after I finished watching :D
The following is the result.
1st 26-28 2nd 21-25 3rd 25-20 4th 25-23 5th 15-12 Congratulations!

This is a photo of Saori Kimura who is one of the core players of the national team.
There are fresh players like her who can physically rival foreign players.




Female national volleyball team almost always has better results than male team.
In fact, Japanese female volleyball team was considered to be one of the strongest in 1960's since it was still a minor sport (only the Soviet and Japan had expertise in it)

During Tokyo Olympic, the Japanese volleyball players were repeatedly called "The Oriental Witches" by American commentators (unreliable information from Wikipedia).
Whether or not it was the case, the Japanese media used the literal translation of "The Oriental Witches" because it was so catchy. I personally like sound of the literally translated phrase.

What I would like to know is whether it had discriminatory meanings at that time (I'm just curious). I don't think European people use the phrase in a good way considering "some historical events."
However, I'm not quite sure about this case because Wikipedia claims that "Americans used the phrase." Do you think it had the same kind of meaning as the majority of Europeans share?
Judging from the origin of Americans and the period it was used, I presume that it was used in discriminatory ways.
What's your view?




Apart from it, I have another question about female athletes.
Almost whenever I watch a volleyball game, I notice that foreign female players do not have their nipples hidden. Precisely, nipples are hidden under their uniforms but still visible probably because they are not wearing brassieres. (Man's instinct)
While I was in America, women seemed to be wearing brassieres in everyday life, so I'm assuming it only happens when they play sports.
Is it common that women do not conceal nipples while they play sports? (Not wearing brassieres and whatnots)
Or does it apply only to volleyball players?

I was not sure if it's an appropriate question to ask, but I couldn't resist my curiosity.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Poland has a pretty good team! Japan must have a really top notch team to have beaten them =^.^=

    Miss Saori Kimura looks like she is having a lot of fun too! I'm happy for her ^-^

    hmm "The Oriental Witches" Sounds like a good term, though this is the first time i've ever heard of it. The Oriental is just a fancy and formal word for 'Asia', and seeing as how it's a sports team that is designed to be competitive i can assume 'witches' would be the female equivalent of the 'devils' which can mean 'mythical, legendary, and undefeatable' But it can also mean 'evil' and 'bad' so i can see how it could get mixed up.


    Our Marine corps has a similar nickname "Devil dogs", and we have many sports teams with 'devils' and 'witches' in the name. I think what they are trying to imply is that they are like demons, constantly tormenting their opponents with defeats and hardships, meaning they are very difficult to beat, attaining a sort of 'mythical' status and aura of invincibility.

    I think whenever 'devils' or 'witches' are used around subjects of competition, it's a compliment. When it's used to describe a moral choice, it's negative.

    Ah English..so many words mean totally different things depending on the context. How on Earth it became so popular is beyond me, I'm native to it and it still confuses me sometimes :P

    [I notice that foreign female players do not have their nipples hidden]

    LOL!!!! Oh my, you pervert! Are you watching them that closely? :P

    hehee, I used to play volleyball and i always wore a sport's bra, as did most of my team. I don't know about the professional players though, maybe they are so competitive that they shed all unnecessary clothing to help them perform better. Gosh i really don't know, i always assumed everyone wore sport's bras.

    ReplyDelete
  2. [Wow! Poland has a pretty good team! Japan must have a really top notch team to have beaten them =^.^=]
    Japan is actually ranked higher than Poland, 5th and 8th respectively in the world ranking. The Japanese team will soon catch up with USA LOL.

    [I think whenever 'devils' or 'witches' are used around subjects of competition, it's a compliment. When it's used to describe a moral choice, it's negative.]
    I see, I thought it was used in discriminatory ways for the most cases. Thanks for the analytical explanation.

    [maybe they are so competitive that they shed all unnecessary clothing to help them perform better.]
    This sounds reasonable.
    Thanks for answering my foolish question. I appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a volleyball fan myself, but I've been watching that game and to be honest, seeing how my national team lost doesn't really matter to me. They're called "złotka" in Poland, which means "the goldies" (I honestly have no idea why they're called like that, seeing how our male squad is WAY better), maybe because they won the gold medal once from what I remember. I find that awkward and plain stupid, because they're widely idolized in my country because of that.

    Anyway, that was a nice game. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand your feeling. Some sports do not fascinate me while others do.

    So, the game was "The goldies VS The Oriental Witches" although the latter is no longer used.
    "The goldies" sounds catchy to me.
    The simpler, the easier to remember, an thus still prevalent unlike "The Oriental Witches."

    I wonder if this kind of naming is observable in any country.

    ReplyDelete