Currently, it takes some time to respond to comments because I have some other things I have to prioritize.

Friday, October 22, 2010

Shinkansen

Shinkansen (bullet train) for the second time in my life.
These are the pictures I took at Tokyo station (the center of Japan!)



Since I was going to have another interview back in Nagoya, I took Shinkansen to Nagoya.
It took me only 2 hours while it takes about 8 hours by night bus.
It was so smooth and quiet that I could take a good nap.
Although there have been a few cases of accidents caused by human error, Shinkansen itself has never been accused of accident since it was build. This transportation deserves to be introduced in many countries. I heard that Obama administration has decided to spend 8billion dollars for the establishment of high-speed train in the US. Brazil and China are also looking for partners to build better trains. There are many possible customers overseas.

I hope to see more and more trains and Shinkansen designed by Japanese.

February 20, 2011
To my disappointment, the state of Florida declined the offer to introduce Shinkansen.
The governor of Florida considered the offer unprofitable. It's possible that the governor refused the plan partly for the benefit of his party.
All Japan can do is to continue the improvement of the technology finally to be accepted as profitable.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (I had to make a new account...i have no idea why >_<)


    I've always wanted to ride on a Shinkansen! They look like so much fun! :D

    Mr. Kan and Arnold Schwarzenegger (governor of California) talked about the possibility of loaning the California 500 million dollars to build Japan's version of high speed railways, instead of the European versions. Since then, Obama has managed to allocated 8 billion USD in supplement budget stimulus for many state budgets in order to build a high speed railway in the Pacific states, and from Texas to Florida.

    They haven't decided on any model yet, but so far most people want the Shinkansen from Japan. It's by far the safest and it's Earthquake proof (very important near the Pacific) It's been a while since i've seen the poll statistics, but i think people favor the Shinkansen almost 2:1 over the French high speed rail model.

    I think it will come down to Japan vs France, and everything i read points to Japan.

    I am a bit unsure though, are they profitable? I'm not sure many companies will be willing to operate them if they can't make a profit. I know in Ohio the issue to allow building keeps getting turned down every year by voting because the Ohio state government can't make it self sufficient, and no companies have invested in it yet. (though i hear the story in California is much different.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. [They haven't decided on any model yet, but so far most people want the Shinkansen from Japan.]
    Good to hear that :D

    [I am a bit unsure though, are they profitable? I'm not sure many companies will be willing to operate them if they can't make a profit.]
    To tell you the truth, there are not a few people who pose questions on this transportation method.
    Since you need to build new railways, the total emission of CO2 won't be as drastically lower than airplanes as it's said(but I think it's much easier to build railways in US).

    Although the fare is lower than flights, it costs more than standard trains(do people really use Shinkansen?).
    It's at least profitable in certain regions of Japan where there are big cities, so I guess it's viable in populous areas in the US. Sorry I'm being too general, but it's all I can say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Nasaki! I really hope they do decide to build them here, though sadly it might be a long time before enough track is built for it.

    ReplyDelete