Currently, it takes some time to respond to comments because I have some other things I have to prioritize.

Saturday, October 23, 2010

On the other hand of multiculturalism

Chinese government forces the minority group "Tibetans" to assimilate into the dominant Han people.
Qinghai province, where most Tibetans live, has decided to use text books written in Chinese.
It's impossible that Tibetans agree with the decision because they seek autonomy.
As the result, thousands of Tibetan students conducted demonstrations on 19 and 20.
It was not reported by the Chinese media as expected.

I don't find it problematic to let people assimilate into the dominant culture, as long as they are willing to do so.
But, Tibetan people are not the case. It is risky to give free rein to "multiculturalism" as I suggested in a previous post, but forcible assimilation can cause even more disastrous outcomes - the extinction of distinct cultures.
Many Tibetans haven't given up hope thanks to their spiritual leader Dalai Lama.
Do you think people will be still hopeful after the great leader dies?
What I fear is that younger Tibetans revolt against the Chinese government in a large scale, which will give the government a convenienct reason to crack down on Tibetans.
Then what if they remain silent?
The Chinese government will simply continue the steady assimilation as he does today. (Although it is actually not gradual)
Feel like Tibet has entered a deadlock....
I'm positive that Tibetan people have acted vigorously for their dignity, but they are simply too small both in number and power. Realistically, Tibetans solely can't possibly gain independence.
They need external supporters such as you and me.
I don't know if we really can be their help, but at least it's more imaginable that Tibetans win autonomy supported by people outside China. The government has strong control over the media including the internet as I mentioned.
I'm sure there are Chinese people who will be supportive of Tibet if properly informed, but we can't expect it to happen inside China judging from the present situation.

Imagine being deprived of your culture, can you accept the situation?

Japanese Buddhist talks about the Tibet problem


I rarely see buddhists on Japanese TV, so this video had strong impact on me.

2 comments:

  1. It's very sad to see what has happened to Tibet. It's also very hard to get information our of China on sensitive issues, as most (if not all) of their newspapers, and other sources of news are strictly censored by the communist government in China.

    I worry about what Tibet, every time they demonstrate they are ruthlessly suppressed (as is the case with most demonstrations that the CCP doesn't like).

    I think what China is trying to do, is enforce the idea that Tibet is "China" on the population, and not a conquered country that is part of a empire. Language and culture are the cornerstone of a people, by eliminating these you can destroy the heritage of ab entire group.

    I also worry about what will happen once the Dali Lama passes away. China has already kidnap The 11th Panchen Lama and his family, and has done who knows what with them. I fear that this has undoubtedly caused even greater animosity in Tibet toward China, and the young being what they are will feel compelled to act. Like China's past action, they will use this to crackdown further on Tibet and impose new laws in Tibet.

    I can't imagine how difficult it is for them, i know it would be very painful for us to live through subjugation by another country being as proud as we are. Even worse is what China is trying to do to them, destroy their history, erase their language, and change their beliefs. I hope one day Tibet will be free, and their people free to live and worship as they desire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for giving me an opportunity to learn about the 10th and 11th Panchen Lama.
    It helped me deepen the understanding of Tibet.

    ReplyDelete